[pvrusb2] "In Kernel-2.6.18" Pvrusb2 Driver Tips

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Tue Oct 3 08:28:36 CDT 2006

On Mon, 2 Oct 2006, roger wrote:

> 1) During "make menuconfig" or "make xconfig":  Instead of choosing the
> modules you'll need (ie. saa7115, msp3400, etc...), just choose the
> pvrusb2 module within "make menuconfig" and the pvrusb2 will
> automatically enable the additional drivers it will need (ie. saa7115,
> msp3400, ...)  This will prevent choosing modules not needed by pvrusb2!

Uh, yeah:

http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2/setup.html

Stated under Kernel Configuration:

"There are a number of things you must have configured into your kernel in
order for the standalone driver to work. (For the in-kernel driver, the
appropriate dependencies should be set automatically when you select the
driver.)"

> 2) With kernel-2.6.18, pvrusb2 doesn't seem to be
> creating /dev/v4l/video0 on boot whether as module or statically
> compiled.  Reseting the pvrusb2 device or reloading the pvrusb2 modules
> solves this.  I'm not sure why this is yet.

The pvrusb2 driver does not itself create the /dev entry.  It happens
indirectly as a result of the V4L device registration into the V4L core.
I believe the V4L core does something in sysfs which in turn triggers udev
to create the needed device.  If a device (any device, not just pvrusb2)
is already plugged at boot time, there's a "cold plug" mechanism in udev
and/or hotplug that is supposed sweep up those cases as part of
initialization of the system.  Perhaps it isn't working very well for you.

> 3) Ensure there are properly named firmware files.
>
> For 29xxx Models:
> /lib/firmware/v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw
> /lib/firmware/v4l-pvrusb2-29xxx-01.fw
>
> For the newer 24xxx Models:
> /lib/firmware/v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw
> /lib/firmware/v4l-cx25840.fw
> /lib/firmware/v4l-pvrusb2-24xxx-01.fw
>
> (Firmware location definition is defined per Distribution.  I'm using
> Gentoo.)

This subject (including file names and description of what they are for)
is also described in the above-mentioned setup.html, under the section
labelled "Firmware extraction and installation":

http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2/setup.html#Firmware