[pvrusb2] New driver snapshot: pvrusb2-mci-20061003

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Thu Oct 5 23:34:11 CDT 2006

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006, Mike Isely wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Oct 2006, ervins at latnet.lv wrote:
>

> > > I use mythtv rather then any shell script incantation.  I'm not too bad
> > > at shell scripting either I might add.  But mythtv is getting to be
> > > rather stable and dummy proof to the point even this dummy is having
> > > fewer problems with! :-)
> > >
> > > Besides, it has an online "tv guide" pvr style database so recording is
> > > as easy as clicking on the show to record.  Some of the recording
> > > options are somewhat trivial for beginners still as well as some setup
> > > options.
> > >
> >  Actually mythtv is quite bad for things I'm trying to do - recording whatever
> > is on composite from xx:xx yo yy:yy. It probably is just too smart. It wants to
> > change channels and name programs somehow - it has problems understanding that
> > listing is in one timezone and and I'm in another and it had problems
> > understanding that I have all interesting channels on composite and cracks up
> > when tries to determine what channel I might have on now. It might be also that
> > I just don't understand intricate ballance between inputs and channels. :) But I
> > will have another try with latest mythtv.  But this is all off-topic. :)
> >
> > > If this helps, I usually use something like this:
> > > insmod /lib/module/path/to/pvrusb2.ko debug=10
> >
> > Thanks for the tip!
> >
> > Ervins

   [...]

Ervins:

I think I was in a different universe when I wrote that last reply.  It
seems I somehow comingled your thread involving dropouts after several
hours with Bartek's thread involving giving up because he doesn't actually
have the PVR USB2 device that the driver works with.

So you can just completely ignore everything I said regarding frustration
and giving up.  The other things I mentioned (heat, bad cable, bad
controller, dirty power, etc) however are good things to look into.

I had a 13 hour work day today, which ended in frustration.  I won't bore
you with the details but suffice to say that it involved a bug in a poorly
designed embedded OS from some software outfit in Redmond...

Sorry about mixing all this up.