[pvrusb2] 100306 snapshot compilation against kernel 2.6.19rc1 fails

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sat Oct 7 12:22:34 CDT 2006

OK, the root cause was a bad commit that removed the pvrusb2 driver's
config description from the build system.  All I can say about this (in
the words of Bart Simpson) is that "I didn't do it" :-)

If you want to build the in-kernel driver you're going to have to undo the
damage caused by the bad commit.  Edit drivers/media/video/Kconfig and
change this:

|  menu "V4L USB devices"
|  	depends on USB && VIDEO_DEV
|
|  source "drivers/media/video/em28xx/Kconfig"

to this:

|  menu "V4L USB devices"
|  	depends on USB && VIDEO_DEV
|
|  source "drivers/media/video/pvrusb2/Kconfig"
|
|  source "drivers/media/video/em28xx/Kconfig"

If you want to build the standalone pvrusb2 driver against 2.6.19-rc1, you
certainly can but you'll have to make sure that you've configured all the
needed dependencies into the kernel (everything described in the pvrusb2
setup instructructions plus CONFIG_VIDEO_CX2341X which I need to add to
the documentation).  Go here:

  http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2/setup.html#Prerequisites

search down to the section labeled "Kernel configuration".

Remember this is a -rc1 kernel, which means it's full of mistakes :-)
Tread carefully.

This issue will be fixed in the kernel presumedly for -rc2.