[pvrusb2] Q: Timed recording without MythTV

Andreas Beck becka-ilist-pvrusb2 at bedatec.de
Tue Oct 10 17:11:49 CDT 2006

"G Mc.Pherson" <gamcpherson at gmail.com> wrote:
> After browsing over the mailing list, I didn't see anyway to time a
> recording. "cat /dev/video > filename.mpg" doesn't really lend itself to
> recording for a specific period of time.

You could use dd with an estimated file size, but you can as well use a
short shell script that utilizes $! to get at a backgrounded PID, as
already shown in the other reply.

One could as well write a timed version of cat within a few minutes.
If anyone is interested I can whip one up. All it takes is to call
"alarm()" before starting to copy.

> Also a 30 minute show is consuming 1.4 Gbytes, is there anyway to reduce
> this.

This is due to the DVD quality to which it defaults. You can adjust that
with the bitrate parameters in the sysfs interface.

CU, Andy