[pvrusb2] I got 24xxx IR working(!)

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun Oct 15 20:40:51 CDT 2006

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006, Richard Vieira wrote:

> Mike,
>    I have had the remote working on the new unit for awhile. I use it all
> the time in Myth. Is this the ir you are talking about or am I missing
> something?

Yes, this is what I've been talking about.

The 24xxx devices don't have a dedicated IR receiver chip on its internal
I2C bus.  The 29xxx devices did have this, and this is what the lirc
driver (or ir-kbd-i2c.ko) looked for and operated.  To make this work for
24xxx devices, the I2C adapter driver within the pvrusb2 driver now
intercepts commands to the non-existant I2C chip and then emulates the
chip's behavior via corresponding commands directly to the FX2 (where the
IR reception is actually implemented).

I released code for this in the current standalone (20061007) snapshot,
but until tonight I hadn't updated the in-V4L version of the driver.

If you have this working with a driver earlier than this, I'd sure be
curious to know how you did it :-)