[pvrusb2] PVR USB2 receiving IR keyboard codes

Rod Smith rodsmith at rodsbooks.com
Sun Apr 8 20:28:19 CDT 2007

Hi,

I've been using a Hauppauge WinTV PVR USB2 under Linux for a few weeks now,
but I've recently run into a problem: I've slightly rearranged my components,
and I've now got a clear view of the PVR USB2 from my sofa. The problem is
that it seems to have a built-in IR receiver that's responding to some
keypresses on my Lite-On IR keyboard, and the driver seems to be feeding
these keypresses on as if they were keyboard keypresses (which of course they
are, but the keyboard's own receiver is already handling them). The result is
that the correct keypress registers (via the keyboard's own IR receiver,
which plugs into the PS/2 port on the computer) and a bogus keypress also
registers. This doesn't happen with every keypress, but it happens fairly
often with some; for instance, about 20-30% of period (".") keypresses also
generate a tilde. Sometimes, but not always, I see messages like the
following in the kernel ring buffer and in /var/log/messages:

i2c IR (Hauppauge): unknown key: key=0x2d raw=0x152d down=1
i2c IR (Hauppauge): unknown key: key=0x2d raw=0x152d down=0
i2c IR (Hauppauge): unknown key: key=0x2d raw=0x152d down=1
i2c IR (Hauppauge): unknown key: key=0x2d raw=0x152d down=0
i2c IR (Hauppauge): unknown key: key=0x15 raw=0x1615 down=1
i2c IR (Hauppauge): unknown key: key=0x15 raw=0x1615 down=0
i2c IR (Hauppauge): unknown key: key=0x1a raw=0x161a down=1
i2c IR (Hauppauge): unknown key: key=0x1a raw=0x161a down=0
i2c IR (Hauppauge): unknown key: key=0x16 raw=0x1616 down=1
i2c IR (Hauppauge): unknown key: key=0x16 raw=0x1616 down=0

When I remove the pvrusb2 kernel module, the problem goes away, so I'm pretty
sure it's related to the pvrusb2 driver. The problem appears with the two
latest versions from the isely.net site (20070227 and 20070407), but not with
the in-kernel version, at least for kernels 2.6.19.1 and 2.6.19.2.

The short question is: Can I somehow disable whatever feature is trying to
read and interpret IR input? I don't see anything in the documentation,
although I may have missed it. For the moment I've rearranged the hardware so
that there's no line of sight from the keyboard and the front of the PVR USB2
unit, where I suspect the IR sensor is, but I'd rather be able to just
disable the IR input entirely, or at least redirect it so that it doesn't get
interpreted as keyboard input.

Thanks for any guidance on this issue.

Rod Smith, rodsmith at rodsbooks.com
http://www.rodsbooks.com