[pvrusb2] PVR USB2 receiving IR keyboard codes

Rod Smith rodsmith at rodsbooks.com
Mon Apr 9 11:57:07 CDT 2007

On Sunday 08 April 2007 22:00, Mike Isely wrote:

> The pvrusb2 driver does not by itself handle IR reception.  What it does
> do however is make accessible a chip inside the device which does IR
> reception.
> There are two possible such drivers I know of.  One is the Hauppauge I2C
> IR driver that is part of the lirc package.

The LIRC package isn't even installed on my system -- I'm using a universal
remote programmed to emulate the IR keyboard as my remote control for this
system.

> The V4L resident driver implements a Linux input device so if it is
> loaded it will translate IR events into keypresses and send them out to
> userspace via a /dev/input/ device node.
>
> So to control what happens here, you need to control which of these
> kernel modules get loaded and attached to the pvrusb2 driver.  It sounds
> to me like Rod's issue is that ir-kbd-i2c (the V4L IR driver) is loaded
> - try unloading it.

I'd love to but I can't:

# rmmod ir_kbd_i2c
ERROR: Module ir_kbd_i2c is in use by saa7134

The saa7134 module is in turn required by saa7134_dvb, which is required by
the AVerMedia AVerTVHD A180 HDTV card I've got installed in the system. The
saa7134 module has quite a few options, but the only ones that seem relevant
to this issue (i2c_scan and disable_ir) don't seem to have any effect.

If there's some other workaround for this, I'd love to hear it.

Rod Smith, rodsmith at rodsbooks.com
http://www.rodsbooks.com