[pvrusb2] stability of pvr usb 2 driver

Paul Webber paulmaillist at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 15:47:31 CDT 2007

A mail order company contacted me about offering a Linux htpc with Myth and
the Hauppauge PVR USB 2.  But the problem is that with much usage the PVR
USB 2 keep crashing with messages like this: 2007-04-17
13:30:03.709MPEGRec(/dev/video0) Error: select timeout.  Unplugging it
and re-attaching
it solves the problem.  However, they want to sell this as a consumer
product and so it has to be 100% rock solid.  I've got the latest drivers
built with Ubuntu.

I assume it's a driver issue, because once Myth reports this problem, I
can't even cat the /dev/video0 anymore and have to unplug/reinsert it to get
it going again.  I'm running on ubuntu 6.10 with the latest drivers from the
stie.

Do you know if the drivers are supposed to be solid and stable, or if this
is a known issue?  If the drivers aren't 100% ready for prime time yet, is
somebody working on fixing any issues?  I'm a c++ coder, though I don't know
anything about the code in the pvr usb2 drivers.  If these are driver bugs,
is there somebody willing to work with me on resolving them?

Thanks