[pvrusb2] Tracking down a problem? pt2

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Fri Apr 27 09:03:05 CDT 2007

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, G Mc.Pherson wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
>     Just to keep you upto date, I spent last night playing with the
> current driver and have not been able to force the problem at all. The
> driver seems to be rock solid. Not that I expected the driver to match,
> but I did an md5sum on Ubuntu's driver and the one I compiled and did
> get totally different values. So I think it's safe to say that Ubuntu's
> copy was probably an older one.

Calculating an md5sum of the .ko file won't tell you much, because
information about the compilation environment (e.g. the specific kernel
version string) is compiled into the object.  So there's no way the
comparison would have matched.  Also, the driver sources are very
different between what is in the kernel and what is in the standalone
driver.  The standalone driver has various bits of extra logic to detect
and adapt to the run-time module environment (but this is not so
important for newer kernels).  The in-kernel driver removes all that
since far better assumptions can be made about how it is being run.

The best way to compare is to run 'uname -r' on your system and then
grab the kernel sources for the kernel you are running (using whatever
method the distro implements for grabbing a source tree).  Then grab
corresponding vanilla sources (based on the uname -r output) and compare
the drivers/media/video/pvrusb2 directory from both.

>     Oh and as a passing interest, Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty) restricted kernel
> modules package includes the firmware dumps for both the 24xxx and 29xxx
> versions, so the device works out of the box.

Nice.