[pvrusb2] Unexpected "Failed to configure cx23416"

Martin Carpella martin.carpella at gmx.net
Wed Aug 8 13:28:24 CDT 2007

Hi,

thank you for your incredible fast reply!

Mike Isely wrote:
> The mpeg encoder chip is the biggest heat generator inside the device.
> Maybe you are experiencing a thermal problem?  Has the ambient air
> temperature in the room gone up?  See if you can affect the symptoms by
> cooling the device down.  Set up a fan to blow air across the top of it.
> I'm not suggesting this as a solution but perhaps as a way to figure out
> the symptoms a little better.

Temperature was the first issue I suspected, but the device is neither
hot nor is the air around it hot.

After my e-mail I changed my Ubuntu kernel from generic to low-latency
as I suspected a timing problem and strange enough the crashes are not
happening at the moment. But this may well be coincidence as I
cold-bootet both the device and the computer several times in the
process and removed the power cord for several minutes, so maybe it just
cooled down. I will now perform some recordings to see if the issue
comes back.

> I have heard of one other case in the past few years where a device died
> due to overheating.  These devices do get somewhat warm.  But in that
> case it was an unusual situation: The owner had put a small stack of PVR
> USB2 devices one on top of another and then entombed the whole array
> inside a closed unventilated box...

No, just one device and this is in the open. Thanks for the pointer
anyways ;) I will keep a look and see if the error will re-appear.

Best regards,
Martin