[pvrusb2] remote, radio and other issues

leonardo billtorvalds1 at yahoo.it
Sun Feb 25 15:01:42 CST 2007

I have not seen that problem.  However (and I imagine this doesn't help
much) the only involvement of the pvrusb2 driver in IR is at the very
lowest level: The pvrusb2 driver just provides an I2C control path to
the IR receiver chip; the actual driver for the IR receiver comes from
elsewhere (the lirc package or V4L itself depending on how you have
things set up).  For 24xxx devices, the pvrusb2 driver also emulates
the presence of the IR receiver chip but the outward result is the
same.

ok, I noticed that if I fire up irw I see the right code of the last botton pushed,
so I'm starting to think it's related to irexec. but can't figure it out now.
Somebody has an .irexec file to share?

> then, I'd like to set up a media center using an Xbox, but I've seen there are some
> issues with that. Are the issues still present and relevant?

So the short summary is that the pvrusb2 driver will work on xbox, but
it takes some tweaking of a few xbox I2C drivers first.

this seems enough for wasting 80€ for an old xbox, see what happens and
then come to knock again... :-)
One more thing.. how does the driver work with an usb 1.1 port as the xbox has?

> I'm having problems with FM tuner, I can read from the device with mplayer and use cat to set
> the channels, but I have no luck with kradio.. again is this I should work out with
> my configuration?

You will not be able to play the audio through kradio.  However you
should be able to use kradio to tune the device and then another app
(like mplayer) to play the audio.  Also realize that the PVR USB2

ah.. I was missing that part.

hardware uses a separate F-connector for FM radio reception.  If you
still have the coax connected to the TV input F-connector, then the
radio won't receive much :-)

I didn't quite get this, there are two separate connectos so why should
one interfere with the other?  anyway, mplayer works..
The fact that kradio doesn't work is due to what? that it cannot read from an
mpeg stream? it should produce some pcm or mp3 code?

thanks again Mike,
leonardo.