[pvrusb2] Very bad image quality using driver in 2.6.18

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Tue Jan 9 08:44:26 CST 2007

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007, Henrik Elowsson wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> picked up a used USB PVR yesterday that I intend to use with my
> mythtv-system. It works on my laptop with windows XP so there's nothing
> wrong with the hardware itself.
>
> It probes and inserts the correct module and tuning seems to be working,
> but the image quality is simply awful, the entire picture is noisy.
> Sound is very good with no static and I have now problems scanning and
> changing channels. No difference between running through mythtv or just
> cat /dev/video > foo.mpg.
>
> Any tips and tricks I should try out?

Can you test the composite and/or s-video input on the device?  Do you
have a VCR, DVD player, or camcorder that you can jack into the device?
If that input is clean, then we know the problem has to do with tuning.
This is likely the case, but it would be useful to be sure.

> System: Debian testing, 2.6.18-3-686
> PVR model: 29035 Rev C524 PAL-I

This model number should be OK.  I just checked the models.txt file (an
informal census of the various models people have used with the driver),
and this model is listed there - so at least one other person has this
particular device working OK.  If that person is on this list, it might
be useful if he/she could compare notes with you especially with respect
to the detected tuner type.