[pvrusb2] mplayer pvr://

Pantelis pakt223 at freemail.gr
Sat Jan 13 10:56:40 CST 2007

> On Fri, 12 Jan 2007, Mark Brand wrote:
> > I just noticed that mplayer seems to know about pvr devices. (Look for
> > pvr:// in man mplayer). Sadly, I haven't been able to get this to work
> > with my pvrusb2 (which otherwise works fine). I'm wondering if anybody
> > knows something about this.
> >
> On Fri, 12 Jan 2007, Mike Isely wrote:
> Fantastic.  I'll see what I can do to figure out how this is supposed to
> be working.
>
>   -Mike

I just got it working. There were a few minor issues with the V4L2 api pvrusb2
supports. I 'll work with mike for a proper patch. Note though, that at least
with the current implementation (of mplayer), mplayer pvr:// buys you
practically nothing over mplayer /dev/video0 :(

The only thing you gain is that there are no longer these annoying
"Cannot seek backward in linear streams!" messages on startup.
(which people using X most probably haven 't even noticed)
What would be nice, is if mplayer supported the
tv_set_channel/tv_step_channel LIRC commands
like it does in tv:// mode, but that is not happening yet (you can 't
even do mplayer pvr://Ant1 or something from what I can tell)

Therefore rest assured that by the time mplayer pvr:// is actually of
any use It will already be supported for pvrusb2 as well :)

-pantelis