[pvrusb2] aspect ratio

Mark Brand mabrand at mabrand.nl
Fri Jan 19 04:30:15 CST 2007

Pantelis wrote:
> <snip>
> In any case, I can only assume that this driver is eventually going to have
> VBI support, but I wouldn 't hold my breath since this is nobody 's day job.
> My advice would be for you to get a DVB card (since analog broadcasts
> have stopped there). This will probably solve your problem since this
> way the aspect_ratio information will be right in the mpeg stream from the
> source (I think).
>
> That 's all I know. Hope this helps,

Thanks for the explanation.

By the way, the trouble with digital TV broadcasts in the Netherlands is
that most of the channels are not free-to-air. You need a receiver with
a smartcard decoder. The only receivers I know about have only RGB and
composite output. Last time I checked there didn't seem to be a better
option than to feed the composite signal to a a pvr device like pvrusb2.
It's absurd to go from the over-the-air MPEG-2 to composite video and
then back to MPEG-2, but at least it wasn't my idea. :)

Mark