[pvrusb2] pvrusb2-mci-20070114 radio support - stereo?

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sat Jan 20 11:51:48 CST 2007

Rick:

The actual handling of mono vs stereo is up to the tuner core, not the
pvrusb2 driver (that is, once the pvrusb2 driver actually hands the
proper commands to the tuner core which is what this bug fix does).

Are you sure you were running the updated pvrusb2 driver?  Look at the
banner it prints in your log when it starts; the snapshot ID will be a
part of that banner.

We might be using different versions of the I2C modules with different
behavior.  For my testing last night I was running in kernel 2.6.18.1,
using the V4L core that was a part of that kernel.

When I tested, the way I determined I was getting stereo was by flipping
the audio mode back and forth while listening (that control works now).
I could definitely hear the sound "spread" when I switched to stereo
mode.

I have also asked my contact at Hauppauge about this, when there was a
question about whether or not Stereo is even there.  The answer is that
it is definitely there, but I was also warned that some combinations of
tuner types have been "harder" to get working in FM stereo mode.  He
didn't know which ones those were, but a difference like that between
our model types might have something to do with it.  After plugging in
the PVR USB2 device and starting the radio, do this command from the
shell:

  cat /sys/class/pvrusb2/*/debuginfo

That will dump info to the screen about the associated I2C modules.
Send me that output.  In addition, the system log will get a status dump
from everything (it will be obvious in the log); send that as well.  I
can use that to look for differences in the hardware between what you
are running and what I tested.

However, the fact that you got stereo while running under WinXP would
suggest that this isn't the issue.  But it could be a different enough
tuner that the tuner core isn't driving it correctly.  There has been at
least one recent commit into the v4l-dvb repository regarding proper
suport of FM stereo for certain tuner types.  This leads to another
suggestion: Check out and build the latest v4l-dvb repository and test
that.  The pvrusb2 driver is also a part of that repository, and in fact
as of this morning, all the recent changes have been pulled up into it.

Can anyone else confirm / deny operation of the FM radio in stereo mode?