[pvrusb2] audio pops and cracks in the recordings

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Mon Jan 22 00:25:39 CST 2007

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007, devsk wrote:

> > Actually, it would be more useful if you just cat'ed the unchanged mpeg
>
> ok, I cat'ed the /dev/video0 for a while and then using only 'cat' and 'split' got this sample which is small enough for upload and download:
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~funtoos/sample.mpg
>
> Please have a look/listen and let me know which setting can I tune to get rid of these pops.

Very interesting.  The popping is not random; it has a pattern that
follows the content of the audio.  In fact, the best way I would
describe the sound is as if you were playing the audio through a speaker
with a damaged cone.  I don't anyone else has seen/heard this sort of
distortion.  There is an issue with corrupted video but there the
pattern is different - it is usually only when streaming starts, and if
it continues the pattern is periodic.  But this audio distortion is like
something is being overdriven, in a mechanical sort of way.

If you try the device under Windows does the same thing happen?

And that sample was with all the capture parameters at their defaults,
right?  (If you replugged the device like you said, then all the
parameters should normally be the default values again.)