[pvrusb2] pvrusb2-mci-20070114 radio support - stereo?

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Thu Jan 25 22:46:56 CST 2007

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007, Rick Macdonald wrote:

> Rick Macdonald wrote:
> > Pantelis wrote:
> >
> >> What you can try:
> >> Have the two computers close enough, so that whether you connect to one
> >> or the other, the antenna stays on the same place.
> >>
> >> Tune to *exactly* the same station. If you still hear mono+hiss to one while
> >> it is stereo in the other, then play with stereo_threshold to see if that
> >> changes anything.
> >>

> > The laptop and desktop are side-by-side, so I don't have to touch
> > anything except the USB cable (and my headphones) when I switch
> > back-and-forth.  Same station. The PVR-USB2 plays stereo when the USB
> > cable goes to the laptop, so the signal strength would seem to be OK.
> >
> > On the desktop, the pvrusb2 gets mono+hiss when I echo Stereo to the
> > ctl_audio_mode, and mono+nohiss when I echo Mono to ctl_audio_mode.
> >
> > On the laptop, the pvrusb2 gets stereo+hiss when I echo Stereo to the
> > ctl_audio_mode, and mono+nohiss when I echo Mono to ctl_audio_mode.
> >
> OK, finally something interesting.
>
> I installed the same kernel on the laptop as on the desktop, Debian
> pre-built linux-image-2.6.18-3-686, and now the laptop now longer plays
> stereo. It behaves the same as the desktop. I can boot back and forth
> between the two kernels, and the old one comes back stereo; the new one
> mono. In both cases (and on the desktop) I haven't updated anything to
> with video/sound except for the pvrusb2 snapshot.
>
> Mike - what kernel version do you run when you test your 29xxx device?

I've been running under 2.6.18.1 here for a while.

I did try both 29xxx and 24xxx devices, however I'll listen to them
again with a more critical ear.  A little later though - in the midst of
some long overdue encoder control cleanups right now.

> In light of this, what is the next step?

The modules you are working with (msp3400, tuner, tda9887) have been
evolving quite a bit since 2.6.15.  Quite likely something has been
busted along the way.  I do know that msp3400 underwent a bunch of
changes after 2.6.15 in order to fix problems with stereo / SAP decoding
in NTSC.  (However don't get your hopes up with that because in radio
mode msp3400 is not the part decoding the audio.)

I will listen to things here again and see if I can discern any problems
using my 2.6.18.1 kernel build.