[pvrusb2] Audio/video sync (was re: Jumpy Video in Mythtv)

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Tue Jul 24 19:15:53 CDT 2007

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007, Mark Goldberg wrote:

> I still have some occasional issues where it "messes up"
>
> Sometimes the audio gets distorted. It happened on the Dr. Who recorded show
> but was fine on two other shows recorded the same night. It seems that
> stopping watching tv and coming back fixes this.
>
> Very rarely it will mess up the video encoding where it drops frames
> every few seconds, very repeatably. I'd estimate every 5 to 10
> seconds, but I did not time it. I had to shut down the computer and
> restart to fix that one.
>
> I've still got to grab the firmware from the CD that came with the
> unit, but I've had other things to do, so I won't complain about
> anyone's vacation.
>
> Thanks,

There used to be real problems like this with older versions of the
pvrusb2 driver.  But it should be basically cleaned up since roughly
last December (i.e. any standalone driver since then or the 2.6.21
kernel or later).  The cx23416 capture chip is extremely fickle.  I had
to do some fairly arcane stuff via its API back then to fix those
issues.  I suppose it is possible that it still isn't quite right, but
honestly I haven't had a lot of feedback to that effect.  When people
inquire about this sort of frame dropping / distortion, it ends up being
that they are running an old pvrusb2 driver.  The version of the cx23416
firmware didn't seem to matter, but the pvrusb2 driver version did.  So
I'm a little puzzled here.