[pvrusb2] frequencies below 50MHz

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Fri Jun 22 11:29:09 CDT 2007

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007, Tobias Knieper wrote:

> On Friday 22 June 2007, Mike Isely wrote:
> > On Fri, 22 Jun 2007, Tobias Knieper wrote:
> > > Hello list,
> > > I'm using my pvrusb2 box (model 29039 Rev D257 PAL-B/G-I-D/K-SECAM) for a
> > > year or so but never get it to work with a channel of frequency 48,25 MHz
> > > (PAL, Germany). The next channel at frequency 55,25 MHz works fine.
> > >
> > > Are there any hardware or driver limitations to use that frequency? Or
> > > can anyone hint me to a line of code which might be the reason for the
> > > limitation?
> > >
> > > Thanks and best regards,
> > > Tobias Knieper
> >
> > There are range checks in the driver.  However to understand this
> > correctly I need to know which driver version you are using.  Is this an
> > in-kernel driver, and if so which kernel version?
> >
> > The current driver version range checks against the "legal" frequency
> > range reported by the tuner module itself.  But older pvrusb2 driver
> > versions used a hardcoded assumedly conservative limit - and the bottom
> > at that time was 55.25MHz.  So, which driver version are you running?
> > If it is in-kernel, tell me the kernel version.  Output from dmesg will
> > help here as well.
>
> Hello Mike,
> the machine is running ubuntu feisty with kernel 2.6.20-16-386. The loaded
> pvrusb2 module is an in-kernel one.

OK, thanks.

That would then correspond to the state that the pvrusb2 driver was in
roughly back in October 2006, which I believe predates the improvement
to the range checking.  I will check this tonight (about 9 hours from
now) to be certain.  Going to a 2.6.21 kernel should solve this, or
downloading, building, and installing the latest standalone pvrusb2
driver should also solve it.