[pvrusb2] Jumpy Video in Mythtv

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Thu Jun 28 10:46:29 CDT 2007

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007, Mark Goldberg wrote:

> On 6/25/07, Mike Isely <isely at isely.net> wrote:
> >
> > The in-kernel driver from 2.6.20 had a video corruption issue.  I don't
> > know how Fedora updates those kernels; if they pull changes from later
> > point releases then it might be OK, but let's assume not.
> >
> > I recommend you try again building the standalone driver - just build it
> > against the kernel you're already running.  The output of the build will
>
> I built the driver from your snapshot as shown below.
>
> usbcore: registered new interface driver pvrusb2
> <path deleted>/pvrusb2-main.c: Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-USB2 MPEG2
> Encoder/Tuner : 20070428a (from www.isely.net)
> <path deleted>/pvrusb2-main.c: Debug mask is 15 (0xf)
>
> It is somewhat better but still is not smooth. Before it crashed and
> it has not since I built from your snapshot. Is the firmware a good
> one? (from pvrusb2_inf_24117.zip). I could not get one from the CD
> that came with it. I can capture a few seconds of video to a .mpg file
> and email it, if that is what you mean by a click. I can also boot to
> XP and see how it does with the driver it came from. Then, I could try
> to capture the firmware. Let me know what you suggest.

No need to send any mpeg fragment since you solved the problem.

I would however very much like it if you could capture that firmware and
generate a new signature for the fwextract.pl script.  It appears that
Hauppauge has released a new firmware CD and since I don't have that CD
I can't run the manual extraction here.  You're the second or third
person to tell me about this and there will certainly be more confused
people showing up with the same glitch.

The process for doing the manual extraction involves a number of steps,
but no programming or module building :-)  The steps are documented
here:

  http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2/firmware.html

At the end of the process, the fwextract.pl script will print a Perl
fragment to stdout.  That fragment is the signature that the script
needs in order to find the same firmware files for anyone who has that
same CD.  Send that fragment to me and I'll then update the master copy
of fwextract.pl with the signature, so that everyone else can benefit
from your effort.

BTW, using pvrusb2_inf_24117.zip is fine.  But it would still be nice if
we always have the ability to grab the latest firmware images so it's
still worth doing this extraction.  As I said, I'd do this myself except
I don't have the CD (and that's why I put detailed instructions about
this on the driver web site).

> I'm not uncomfortable modifying code and rebuilding kernel modules, so
> if there are any suggestions to help debug, i could do that too.

It's actually pretty easily rebuilding kernel modules.  I do agree that
the first couple times the process seems kind of dense.  But once you
get over that you'll realize that it's easy.  No matter though; you've
since found the problem (PAL vs NTSC).