[pvrusb2] Setting bitrate in MythTV

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sat Mar 3 22:31:57 CST 2007

On Sat, 3 Mar 2007, Rod Smith wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've discovered that my WinTV-PVR-USB2 doesn't respond to MythTV's bitrate
> options. Checking the mailing list archives, I found a reference to this
> limitation, but I was wondering if and when changing the bitrate might be
> supported -- or if it should work, what software versions I need to run. (I'm
> using the MythTV 0.20 delivered with Ubuntu 6.10 and a locally-compiled
> 2.6.20 kernel with its pvrusb2 driver.) Thanks for any pointers.

The pvrusb2 driver implements the mpeg control API that Hans created
last summer.  It's had this implemented since the API first appeared.
So assuming that MythTV is controlling things correctly, then it
_should_ be working.

One thing you can do to check things a bit - after you think MythTV
should have set your desired bit rate, use the pvrusb2 driver's sysfs
interface to inspect the current bit rate.  It should match.