[pvrusb2] Problems with IR receiver (latest hardware version, latest driver, 2.6.20 kernel)

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Fri May 4 08:26:22 CDT 2007

On Fri, 4 May 2007, David Gatwood wrote:

> I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to use lirc with the latest version of the WinTV-PVR USB2
> with the external IR blaster.  I ended up enabling full debugging in the driver
> and found that the driver is just sending zeroes across the fake I2C bus.  Everything
> in the logs looks pretty normal until I enable debugging.

   [...]

> Any ideas?  I've been fighting with this problem since last weekend, and if it's bad hardware,
> I'd like to know now so I can swap it at Fry's for a working one.  :-)

The model with the external IR blaster has an entirely different IR
receiver.  So the "virtualized" IR receiver isn't going to work in it.
Unfortunately this newer device still identifies itself as a 24xxx model
so right now I don't have a means in the driver to recognize this and
disable the fake IR receiver (but you can disable it manually via a
module option using the latest standalone driver).

However it's not hopeless.  I think there's a newer lirc driver that
should know how to recognize and handle this IR receiver.  I haven't
experimented with this yet.  You may want to try the other lirc drivers.