[pvrusb2] Installation question

Steven Karp skarp at mysk.org
Sun May 6 19:39:07 CDT 2007

I've just upgraded my system to Suse 10.2, which is the first system I've used
that has the driver built in.  Naturally, being a danger to myself and
society, I'd always rather use the latest version.  I did the following:

1) Build the latest standalone driver from freshly downloaded source.
2) Unplug the device from my USB port and "rmmod pvrusb2".
3) Rename the original pvrusb2.ko to pvrusb2.ko.original.
4) Copy the freshly built driver to the same directory as the original
and "depmod -a".
5) Plug the device back into my USB port.

Everything seems to be working and a look at dmesg shows my version of the
driver loading (pvrusb2-mci-20070428a).  My question is really whether I'm
laying myself open to possible future problems by leaving the renamed
original in the kernel's driver path and/or by dropping the standalone
version in the same directory rather than creating a directory just for the
pvusb2 driver as I have done in the past.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

	S.
--
Kinkler's First Law:
	Responsibility always exceeds authority.