[pvrusb2] IR receiver does not see anything

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun May 13 18:23:04 CDT 2007

On Sun, 13 May 2007, Siddhartha Jain wrote:

> On 5/13/07, Mike Isely <isely at isely.net> wrote:
> > On Sun, 13 May 2007, Siddhartha Jain wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks for the pointer, Mike. Yes, I do have one of those new units
> > > with the IR blaster. So from your earlier post, I understand that you
> > > intend to stop supporting the IR function in the pvrusb2 driver and
> > > leave it to the lirc project?
> >
> > You make it sound like a bad thing.
>
> That wasn't my intention :) I just wanted to know where to direct my
> attention - pvrusb2 or the lirc_i2c module.

I was half joking :-)

> I fully understand and appreciate that you want to leave the IR part
> to the lirc project where it is best handled.
>

> > > I did compile lirc-0.8.2-pre2 but haven't had success with that either
> > > yet :( So I will keep trying that and post to the lirc list.
> >
> > It would probably also be useful to post here specifically what you did
> > to get it working, once you have it working.  (Or for that matter, hint,
> > hint, anyone else who has walked through the process of getting the new
> > IR receiver working with lirc would be welcome to post details here...)
> >

> I sure will do that. Right now, I am trying to disable the IR portion
> of the kernel's in-tree pvrusb2 module by passing this in
> modprobe.conf:
> options pvrusb2 ir_mode=0
>
> And got this in dmesg:
> pvrusb2: Unknown parameter `ir_mode'
>
> So I went to the source
> [root at linpvr pvrusb2]# pwd
> /usr/src/linux/drivers/media/video/pvrusb2
>
> [root at linpvr pvrusb2]# grep ir_mode *
>
> Returns nothing.
>
> I checked the standalone version and saw that the ir_mode option does
> exist in there. Any specific reason to exclude it from the in-tree
> version?

Because it didn't get there yet...  (The feature was only recently just
added to the standalone driver; it should get into the next appropriate
kernel version either 2.6.22 or 2.6.23 depending on whether or not the
V4L maintainer managed to push it up in time.)

> Is it absolutely necessary to disable the IR function in pvrusb2 to
> get lirc_i2c working (which shows up as /dev/lirc1 and I still haven't
> been able to get it working).

No, it is not absolutely necessary.  But realize that leaving that
"enabled" doesn't do anything except make a virtual IR receiver chip
visible on the bus that doesn't work.  But if you leave it enabled and
you do eventually get the new receiver going, then you'll just have two
receivers present - one that returns codes and one that doesn't return
anything.