[pvrusb2] Input from composite

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Mon May 21 09:50:32 CDT 2007

On Mon, 21 May 2007, Mika Sipponen wrote:

> > > So what can I do the make the sound better using composite as input?
> >
> > When you say "not so good", what do you mean?  Too quiet, too loud,
> > nothing there, distortion, lack of separation?
>
> Music for instance is some kind of mess.
>
> > When using the composite or s-video input the audio is expected to
> > be sent in through the audio input jacks.  The fact that audio via
> > antenna reception is fine means that everything in the software
> > downstream of the driver is OK.
> >

> So I connect the audio output from digibox straight to the input of my sound
> card. Is that what you suggest?

No, not at all.

I presume you are connecting the audio output from your digibox to the
audio input on the PVR USB2 device...

What I am suggesting now is that you connect some OTHER device's audio
output (e.g. a CD player) to the audio input on the PVR USB2 device and
evaluate the sound quality again.  If the sound quality is decent then
you've just proven everything on the PVR USB2 side is fine with respect
to audio on the composite input and there must be some kind of problem
involving the connection of the digibox.  If the sound quality still
rots then you've ruled out any aspect of the digibox as being a factor
in this and we have to look inside at the PVR USB2 side.

But if you've got good audio when using the antenna then nearly
everything on the PVR USB2 is already OK.  The only different between
antenna and composite input is a software audio routing configuration in
the PVR USB2 device hardware itself - everything downstream of that
point is identical in the two cases.