[pvrusb2] Looking for the next generation

roger roger at eskimo.com
Tue Nov 6 20:26:45 CST 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-06 at 17:04 -0800, Steven Karp wrote:
> On Saturday 03 November 2007, roger wrote:
> > I posted something like this several months ago.  From the info I
> > gathered, expect HDTV/Digital TV (ATSC) products to start hitting the
> > market by 2008.
>
> Guess I'll just be patient and see what turns up.  I did find this:
> http://www.cwol.com/firewire/pinnacle-liquid-edition-pro.htm but (a) $800 is
> a bit rich for my blood, (b) I doubt there's any Linux support, and (c) I
> can't tell what conversion the breakout box does -- I suspect it's minimal,
> with the bulk of the work done in software.

This seems like only a break-out box including no tuner.  Only a
buy-pass with support for different formats.

Basically, it inputs/outputs High Definition (aka HD) video.

The pvrusb2 device is a tuner along with mpeg2 codec support

> I'm just so boggled to see all of the ATSC tuners with Svideo inputs.
> *Think*, people!

A lot of people need legacy plugs.  Besides, they're usually pretty
cheap to add.  They're used for a number of things besides accepting
input from TV tuners -- such as Closed Circuit TV's and other recording
devices such as DVD players or Video cameras.

Granted, I don't like messing with legacy analog either these days
anyways.

--
Roger
http://www.eskimo.com/~roger/index.html