[pvrusb2] Accessing 2nd tuner on PVR-USB2?

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Wed Oct 3 15:02:14 CDT 2007

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007, Brett Granger wrote:

> Mike Isely wrote:
> >
> > Brett:
> >
> > The PVR USB2 device only has a single tuner.
> >
> > You're seeing two F-connectors on the device because one is for the FM
> > radio while the other is for TV input.  But internally it's just a
> > single tuner.  Sorry...
> >
> >   -Mike
> >

> "Doh!" he says, grinning sheepishly. :-)  I must have been really tired
> when I read the description and thought it had 2 tuners... I thought it
> was just an external version of the pvr500.  Oh well.  In that case, it
> "just works" -- thanks for the great work on the driver!

That's ok.  I've done my share of dumb things too, usually bleary-eyed
at 3am :-)

FWIW, for "only" twice the price you can get two devices and connect
them in through a USB hub or a second jack...  (In that case you
definitely want to make sure the hub is USB 2.0 hi-speed.)  The pvrusb2
driver has no problem operating multiple of these things in parallel.
Really, one reason you see 2-tuner PCI based devices is because PCI
slots are a scarce resource - especially in an HTPC rig where there
might only be a single PCI slot to begin with.  But it's trivial to
configure a small pile of USB ports.  Bandwidth consumed by a single PVR
USB2 device is small since the video data has already been compressed by
the hardware, so fanning out to 3 or 4 devices with a hi-speed hub from
a single jack should not be a problem at all.