[pvrusb2] New driver snapshot: pvrusb2-mci-20071013

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun Oct 14 01:01:07 CDT 2007

[Resending, with correct subject line this time, %$$@##!@#!!!]

A new pvrusb2 snapshot is available.  The changes here still fall into
the maintenance mode category - mainly things to ensure continued
correct builds with later kernels.

Summary of changes (in no particular order):

  (+) Additional logic to attempt a better job at tracking the health
      of the mpeg2 encoder chip.

  (+) Stop handling I2C_M_NOSTART flag; this is deprecated and going
      away.

  (+) Get rid of use of USB_DEVICE(0,0), seems to break gcc in some
      cases.  Yes, this appears to be a compiler bug!

  (+) Internal list handling cleanup from Trent Piepho (slight
      performance improvement, code maintenance improvement).

  (+) The kernel-approved method for handling /sys/class changed a
      while back (around 2.6.19, usage of struct class_device -->
      changes to struct device).  While the "old" way still works as
      of 2.6.22, it is on its way out and we here have to move
      forward.  Unfortunately the needed changes break compatibility
      with older kernels.  To deal with that here, I've forked the
      pvrusb2-sysfs module such that the older version will be built
      if the kernel target is 2.6.22 or older.  For anything newer,
      the newer pvrusb2-sysfs implementation will be compiled.  Note:
      An implication of this is that when using the in-V4L driver (not
      the standalone or in-kernel versions), the sysfs interface will
      no longer be supported at all for kernels older than roughly
      2.6.19.

I (still) have in the works some more pervasive changes that will impact
the strategy for how/when the mpeg encoder is stopped / started.  But it
is still not ready for prime time...

As usual, the pvrusb2 web site can be found at:

  http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2/pvrusb2.html