[pvrusb2] USB devices and dirty power [was: pvrusb2 Digest, Vol 26, Issue 6]

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Mon Oct 22 13:50:47 CDT 2007

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007, roger wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 20:05 -0500, Mike Isely wrote:
>
> > My mythtv box here is on its own UPS, and its associated pvrusb2 device
> > is also powered from that same UPS.  The box isn't perfect, but at least
> > none of the problems ever involve the pvrusb2 device going awol :-)
> >
> >   -Mike
>
> Never really realized until now, all one needs for continued recording
> through a local power outage, is a UPS.  Well, unless your cable tv
> splitter locations rely on local power too.

Well I just did this for completeness, i.e. I didn't want the machine to
survive any power glitch while still having the pvrusb2 hardware poop
out along the way.

My configuration is OTA only (both NTSC and ATSC).  I am however 45
miles from the transmitting stations and my antenna is in the attic.
That said, I put the biggest antenna that would fit in there, and
there's a series of booster amps leading from there to various reception
points in the house.  The MythTV box is unfortunately at the end of the
longest run (leading to my rec room in the basement).  It has multiple
RF amps in front it - partially because a part of the run is composed of
lousy builder-installed RG-59 cable that has been staple-gunned to
unreachable studs and thus I can't replace it without tearing up walls.
One booster is near a UPS, but alas the most important amp at the
head-end is in the attic adjacent to the antenna and not within reach of
a UPS.  And I really don't think in this freeze/fry Chicago climate that
it would be a good idea to place a UPS into a space whose temperature
varies that widely - the battery would probably be dead in less than a
year.  Maybe someday I'll put a dedicated ciruit up there and drive it
from a UPS in the climate-controlled part of the house.  But receiving
my fix of the Simpsons during a power outage just hasn't been that
important :-)