[pvrusb2] New driver snapshot: pvrusb2-mci-20080420

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun Apr 20 23:24:32 CDT 2008

A new pvrusb2 driver snapshot is available.  Lots of changes, most of
which is below the surface.  The change list is too lengthy to include
here (check the change history on the web page if you want to see), but
here's a few highlights:

  o Great big gobs of changes to support hybrid tuners.  Two supported
    devices (OnAir) are already in the market; one is imminent.  (No,
    I'm not talking about the Hauppauge HD-PVR, sorry.)  Digital
    support is handled via a new DVB interface in the usual way one
    expects for DVB.  HOWEVER this support depends on features that
    don't yet exist in a stock kernel release so the DVB side is
    currently prevented from building unless you build against a
    V4L-DVB snapshot.  This new feature is responsible for most of the
    changes.  I expect more cool stuff coming up in this arena.  But
    this is already enough to theoretically allow full use of
    supported hybrid tuners.  Lots of thanks go to Mike Krufky for his
    major contributions in this area.

  o A number of significant stability fixes, all dealing with
    tear-down on module removal.  I discovered I had been violating
    proper module tear-down sequencing, since, well the beginning of
    time.  This should all be fixed now.  Also fixed a race if a
    device is quickly plugged / unplugged before the driver gets a
    chance to finish initializing it first.

  o New support for additional device types, various DVB related
    fixes, etc...

As usual, the pvrusb2 web site can be found at:

  http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2/pvrusb2.html

isely @ pobox (dot) com