[pvrusb2] pvrusb2 timeout?

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sat Aug 23 08:20:42 CDT 2008

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008, Dan Bodoh wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 10:32 AM, Mike Isely <isely at isely.net> wrote:
>
> > Has the room in which the device sits gotten any warmer?  Have there
> > been any power glitches that might be different than before (e.g. turn
> > on the air conditioner)?
>
> Room should not have gotten any warmer.  I can't really say if there's
> been a power glitch recently (in my climate, the A/C has been running
> all summer).  I haven't seen problems with any othe relectronic
> equipment in the last few days.  We've had some rain, but no recent
> thunderstorms.

Well it was a thought.  Trying to find a reason for the mpeg encoder to
fall over dead mid-stream...

> >> You may have misunderstood.  This message coincided with the point in
> >> time when my failed recording successfully restarted (41 minutes in to
> >> the program).  So whatever code is behind this message "fixed" the
> >> problem.
> >>

> > Wow.  I sure did misunderstand.  This sounds a lot like the mpeg encoder
> > chip crashed WHILE streaming.  I've never seen that happen here.  What
> > the code you refere to did to "fix" this was to completely reinitialize
> > the mpeg encoder chip: The chip is reset, reloaded with its firmware,
> > restarted, and then re-sent all the configuration information.
>
> I'm not sure it crashed WHILE streaming (but maybe this is semantics).
>  The recording was supposed to start at 20:00, at which time the
> timeout messages started and nothing actually recorded.  At 20:41, the
> recording finally started, and the MPEG file finally got some valid
> bits, which correlated with that reinitialization message.  So the
> MPEG file was only 19min long, when it should have been 60 minutes.

So it recovered in the middle of the recording?  That I do not
understand.  If the mpeg encoder died at the beginning and the driver
failed to detect this at that point, then I'm at a loss for what trigger
could have caused the driver to later on detect the dead encoder.

> According to my Myth logs, the first timeout appears Aug 18, 17:00,
> and occurred several times (but not on every recording) until the Aug
> 20, 20:41 reinitiialization event.  I rebooted both the computer and
> power cycled the PVR-USB2 sometime after Aug 20, 21:00 and haven't
> seen the problem since.

It's important to figure out at what point during the streaming that it
timed-out.  If it was right at the beginning, then the driver is failing
to detect this known condition.  If it was in the middle, then you are
seeing a new type of failure not previously noticed.

> If it was a heat problem, I'd wouldn't have expected the problem to
> suddenly stop after reboot and not re-appear.  Unless a heat event put
> some chip into a bad state, which it could not reset out of until
> power cycle...

I agree with your point here.  So it's probably not heat.

isely @ pobox (dot) com