[pvrusb2] Intermittent video stream damage

Bjorn Danielsson pvr-usb2 at dax.nu
Mon Dec 15 09:01:40 CST 2008

Mike Isely <isely at isely.net> wrote:
>[...]
> I suppose if something were causing capture issues upstream of the mpeg
> encoder, like loss of video sync, then the encoder could get confused
> and start spewing bad frames.  I saw the other reply from Carsten
> suggesting the problem cleared for him after moving to a different
> V4l-DVB core version.  You're running a 29xxx device, right?  That means
> the video capture chip in the saa7115 which is less common these days.
> The cx25840 seems to be what recent devices (including the 24xxx model)
> use for video capture.  So breakage in the saa7115 chip-level driver in
> V4L-DVB might have gone unnoticed for a while :-(

I did have a 29xxx but I replaced it with a 24xxx recently, and I have
seen this phenomenon on both of the devices.

I'll follow Carsten's advice and install the latest V4L code, and maybe
a fresh kernel so I get the latest USB fixes... I just need to negotiate
with my wife to find a time slot for the service window :-)

--
Bjorn Danielsson  <pvr-usb2 at dax.nu>