[pvrusb2] New driver snapshot: pvrusb2-mci-20080210

Rod Smith rodsmith at rodsbooks.com
Sun Feb 10 23:29:46 CST 2008

On Sunday 10 February 2008 23:47:52 Mike Isely wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Feb 2008, Mark Goldberg wrote:
>
> > It happened on the last snapshot, but with this one, mythtv thinks the
> > tuner is in use and it won't use it. Going back to the last snapshot
> > works fine.  This snapshot grabs /dev/video0 instead of /dev/video2
> > that all the others grabbed. I've got two SAA7134 based card that
> > should be /dev/video0 and /dev/video1.
>
> The driver doesn't control what /dev/videoX device is grabbed (unless
> you force it).  Rather it asks v4l to allocate the first available
> device.  Initialization timing might be different; that could cause the
> two competing drivers to hit the v4l core in a different order if
> they've both been loaded nearly the same time at boot.  It is possible
> that the pvrusb2 driver could be initializing a little faster now.
>
> Is the mythtv problem you are seeing a facet of the different
> /dev/videoX assignment (i.e. mythtv things they are the other way around
> and are treating them perhaps differently) or do you think that is a
> separate problem?

You can play games with driver loading to get the devices to load in the order
you want; however, IMHO a more elegant solution is to use udev to assign
named links to different devices. There's a MythTV wiki page that describes
how to do this:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Device_Filenames_and_udev

The procedure is exactly the same even if you don't use MythTV, BTW.

--
Rod Smith
rodsmith at rodsbooks.com