[pvrusb2] saa7115 1-0021: Video signal: bad

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Wed Feb 20 23:31:21 CST 2008

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008, dan wrote:

> I recently installed mepis 7. I have a wintv-pvr-usb2 (29032 rev d158)
> box. I use it for simple tv viewing on xp (works great). The box is
> connected to cable tv.
>
> I cannot get the box working with xawtv, kdetv, tvtime or kmplayer. I
> receive the subject line in dmesg and the players report no video. wow!!

When you receive that message, is it the one you get right when you plug
in the device, or are you seeing it when you attempt to stream video?

The dmesg output in your message is clearly the result of plugging in
the device (which is as expected).  Those status messages you see in the
output are just that - status at that point in time.  At the time when
the device is plugged in, it isn't streaming anything so of course the
status output from the various chip drivers are all going to indicate no
video, no signal, etc.  So if you are seeing "saa7115 1-0021: Video
signal:  bad" only when you plug in the device, then it's actually
correct in that case and you can ignore it.  If however this is
happening when you try to stream video (e.g. run mplayer, run xawtv,
etc), then that's a real clue.

Another important bit: tvtime is *never* going to work.  That
application requires real-time raw video frames from the hardware, not
self-timed compressed video like the pvrusb2-driven devices will emit.
So that application is not ever going to work.  However mplayer and
xawtv should work (when set up correctly).  I suspect kdetv won't work
because (I think) it is looking for a DVB interface and that's not (yet)
possible with the V4L-based pvrusb2 driver.  I assume kmplayer is a
wrapper around mplayer so whatever is true with mplayer should be true
with kmplayer.

There is a page in the pvrusb2 documentation that discusses what apps
work and what you may or may not have to do to get them to work.  Since
you mentioned tvtime and since that page states that tvtime won't ever
work, I have to assume that you haven't seen that page yet.  Here's a
direct link:

http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2/usage.html#V4L

In particular there is information present on that page which describes
how to get mplayer (e.g. can't run it in v4l mode) and xawtv (e.g. has
to be built with the correct libraries) to work.  It's entirely possible
that you're already doing the right things, but please go back and look
at that page.  Confirm that you're setting things up correctly, then if
you're still having problems we can dig deeper.  For example, a useful
experiment is to separate the RF tuner out of this and to try to stream
video from a DVD player, VCR, or a camcorder - if you can get that to
work then we'll know that whatever problems are left have to do with the
RF tuner.  Conversely, if that doesn't work then we know that there are
problem(s) not involving the RF tuner.

   [...]

> Apparently the kernel has all the required driver modules and firmware
> pre installed ???? or do I need to install? ... If so how?  I downloaded
> all from your site but don't know which or what to use...

Whether or not the kernel has everything depends on the kernel version.
But anything 2.6.18 or later should have everything you need.  You can
still download and install a pvrusb2 tarball if you want; that will give
you later code.  This page of the documentation:

http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2/setup.html

talks about what you need to do depending on kernel version and how you
are installing the driver.  If you look at this page:

http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2/pvrusb2.html

and scroll down towards the end of the "Overview" section you'll see a
bit titled "Driver software versions: standalone vs in-V4L vs
in-kernel", and it's there where you can find out more about which
driver version you might want to use.  Generally these days just using
the in-kernel driver is the easiest and that driver is pretty stable.
But you still always have the option to install a later driver on top of
the kernel, if perhaps you need support for a newer device (not the case
for you) or if you want to play with some newer features (which the most
recent changes are really all internal anyway).

I know that the pvrusb2 driver documentation is lengthy and somewhat,
uh, "deep".  But you have to understand (and I have since learned) that
it is a really tough thing to write documentation where it's both easy
to find what you're looking for while still at the same time covering
all the various corner cases and wierd situations that people have come
across.  When I started documenting this it was all a single HTML page.
I kept on expanding it as I encountered more things that people would
get wrong or that might be problematic.  Eventually that one page just
became too hard to follow - the more common information tended to be
scattered about, hidden by the corner cases.  What's there now is the
result of a big reorganization I had done a while back.  I made one high
level page with the most important points, but then pushed the details
down to other pages, each referenced appropriately from the top page.
The idea is that someone could quickly go through the top page and then
link to the specific places where he/she might require more details or
answers for his/her specific situation.  It's still not perfect, but the
information *is* there.

> Also, xawtv output run:
> :~$ xawtv
> This is xawtv-3.95.dfsg.1, running on Linux/i686 (2.6.22-1-mepis-smp)

Hmm, well here's your first problem: The version of xawtv you are using
doesn't support mpeg decoding.  It's too old.  The usage page I had
mentioned earlier warns about this.  Again, here's the link:

http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2/usage.html#V4L

Right there in the second sentence under the "xawtv" category it states:

"Note that anything before version 4 will definitely not work with this
since earlier versions did not support mpeg2 decoding."

> /dev/video0 [v4l2]: no overlay support
> v4l-conf had some trouble, trying to continue anyway
> Warning: Cannot convert string
> "-*-ledfixed-medium-r-*--39-*-*-*-c-*-*-*" to type FontStruct
> libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4b
> v4l2: read: rc=294912/size=442368
>

> Thanks, and please correct my protocol if needed...... (I have posted to
> mepis board with no reply and spent hours on google and reading your info )
> dan

First bit of advice: Read the usage page I mentioned earlier.  Then
apply what you find, and tell me if things are better after that point.

isely @ pobox (dot) com