[pvrusb2] Hauppauge HD DVR --> WinTV-HVR-1950

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sat Jan 12 22:49:00 CST 2008

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008, Steven Karp wrote:

> On Saturday 12 January 2008, roger wrote:
> >
> > WooHoo!  Thar' She Is!
> >
> > Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1950
>
> <pout>  Still tops out at SVideo for non-OTA source.
>
> Mike, any chance that the originally-referenced device (H264 from component
> inputs) will be able to work with your code?  Or are you limited to mpeg2?

Well with enough effort anything would be possible, but the better
question is if the effort makes sense.  I don't know enough about this
other device to really know the answer to that.

If you were to look back through the history of this driver, its
principle reason for being is to handle hardware that has a cx23416 (or
equiv) mpeg encoder chip which is hosted over USB using a Cypress FX2
microcontroller.  Those are the common elements for every case where
this driver currently works.  Even for cases like the HVR-1950 where
there's work going on to support the digital side, those other elements
are still there.

If this new device were similar enough to fit that description, then
perhaps it could work.  But I really know very little about the device
and nobody (who would really know) has suggested to me that it might be
possible.  So I'm inclined to answer no :-(