[pvrusb2] Brand new HVR-1950 - no IR device!

Michael Krufky mkrufky at linuxtv.org
Thu Jul 17 21:23:05 CDT 2008

I normally post my replies below the quote, but this isn't my list to police, so I will keep to the quoting style of the thread.

Anyhow, Nat:

You are attempting to utilize a device at i2c address 0x1a as an IR receiver, but this will not work for you, since the device at 0x1a is in fact NOT an IR receiver.

The device at 0x1a is the atsc/qam demodulator.  This particular ic has 16-bit registers, so when you address it using only 8 bits, results are unpredictable.  This might be related to "[ 8780.549011] pvrusb2: Timed out control-write" message, which later rendered the device inoperable.

The above has nothing to do with the issue at hand, but I mention it now so that it will be known for the future.

What you *should* do instead, is deal with the zilog ir blaster / receiver.  This ic is located at i2c address 0x71, iirc.  If not 0x71, then 0x72 or something in that neighborhood.  (The zilog is actually addressable at multiple locations on the same unit, but that is a discussion beyond the scope of this thread)

In the end, the issue is that you are using the wrong LIRC configuration.  I can't blame you for this, since the pvrusb2 24xxx models did use the fx2-style IR located at pseudo i2c address 0x1a ( or was that 0x18 ? -- I forget ) , and that IR solution emulated the previous IR solution provided by the 29xxx units.

What you actually need to do is configure this IR receiver device as if it was a zilog commonly found on a Hauppauge PVR150.  I believe that lirc has a predefined configuration for this, called "lirc_pvr150" or something.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Mike Krufky