[pvrusb2] pvrusb2 Digest, Vol 35, Issue 3

Nat Tellin nat.tellin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 17:41:47 CDT 2008

> What you *should* do instead, is deal with the zilog ir blaster / receiver.  This ic is located at i2c address 0x71, iirc.  If not 0x71, then 0x72 or something in that neighborhood.  (The zilog is actually addressable at multiple locations on the same unit, but that is a discussion beyond the scope of this thread)

This raises the question of why the lirc_i2c kernel module believes
there to be an IR transmitter at 0x1a. And then, why is it not
_always_ detected? Usually only by reloading the pvrusb2 module.

> In the end, the issue is that you are using the wrong LIRC configuration.  I can't blame you for this, since the pvrusb2 24xxx models did use the fx2-style IR located at pseudo i2c address 0x1a ( or was that 0x18 ? -- I forget ) , and that IR solution emulated the previous IR solution provided by the 29xxx units.

The address is specified by neither myself nor any of the lirc
configuration files, and I've seen no means to override it (it
wouldn't be quite as simple as specifying '0x71' even if so). The
module makes this determination on its own through some means I'm not
familiar with. I'll assume that it is probed for and thus unrelated to
any hard-coded value or one from eeprom - correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not sure how the model designations work. I do know however that
you mentioned 24 and 29xxx, which I've seen in firmware filenames
(makes sense). However, as I didn't see it referenced I feel the need
to point out that the firmware for my device contains 73xxx. Forgive
me if that's irrelevant. Support seems to be very new for the HVR-1950
- I'm inclined then to think that there may be a genuine issue hiding
in here somewhere.