[pvrusb2] WinTV PVR USB2 MIA under Open SuSE 11

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Mon Jul 28 09:46:19 CDT 2008

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008, Boris Epstein wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just upgaded to OpenSuSE 11 and my PVR USB2 (29022 series) has gone
> missing. The message which has accompanied that has accompanied that
> even reads as follows:
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> pvrusb2: Device being rendered inoperable
> usb 7-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 85
> usb 7-4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> usb 7-4: New USB device found, idVendor=2040, idProduct=2900
> usb 7-4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
> usb 7-4: Product: USB Device
> usb 7-4: Manufacturer: Hauppauge
> pvrusb2: Device microcontroller firmware (re)loaded; it should now
> reset and reconnect.
> usb 7-4: USB disconnect, address 85
> pvrusb2: Device being rendered inoperable
> usb 7-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 86
> usb 7-4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> usb 7-4: New USB device found, idVendor=2040, idProduct=2900
> usb 7-4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
> usb 7-4: Product: USB Device
> usb 7-4: Manufacturer: Hauppauge
> pvrusb2: Device microcontroller firmware (re)loaded; it should now
> reset and reconnect.
> usb 7-4: USB disconnect, address 86
> pvrusb2: Device being rendered inoperable
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well it looks like the FX2 firmware was loaded to the device, then the
hardware "went off the rails".  The normal action after the FX2 firmware
is loaded is that the device will disconnect, then reconnect, then the
driver will (re)discover it, note that the FX2 firmware is already
present and proceed with the rest of the initialization.  Looks like it
failed to notice that the firmware had been reload and things just went
to crap after that.

> After that is goes "missing", so much so that lsusb no longer displays it.
>
> The device worked fine under 10.3 Attempts to extract firmware from
> the Windows drivers have thus far failed.

The firmware is probably OK - if it worked before the upgrade and
assuming the upgrade process didn't erase the firmware files in your
file system.

Firmware extraction should have worked fine - have you been able to do
that in the past?  I wonder if the CD media you have is older than the
anything I've used to train the script?  You should also be able to just
download a new driver package from Hauppauge's site and extract from
that as well.

You can also use the firmware tarball from ivtvdriver.org.

But with all that said, it doesn't seem like bad firmware would be the
issue if you had it working before.

> Any idea what could have lead to this?
>
> The kernel I am running is:
>
> Linux vorkuta 2.6.25.11-0.1-pae #1 SMP 2008-07-13 20:48:28 +0200 i686
> i686 i386 GNU/Linux

I have a 29022 device (older than the 29032 that is more common).  I'll
try it on the 2.6.25 vanilla kernel and verify that it still works.
Earliest chance I will get is tomorrow night however.  I'm not a Suse
user so I can't comment on anything about the Suse installation.  If
there's someone else here who is a Suse user, perhaps he/she can chime
in?

isely @ pobox (dot) com