[pvrusb2] WinTV PVR USB2 MIA under Open SuSE 11

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Wed Jul 30 00:16:33 CDT 2008

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008, Boris Epstein wrote:

   [...]

> > I have a 29022 device (older than the 29032 that is more common).  I'll
> > try it on the 2.6.25 vanilla kernel and verify that it still works.
> > Earliest chance I will get is tomorrow night however.  I'm not a Suse
> > user so I can't comment on anything about the Suse installation.  If
> > there's someone else here who is a Suse user, perhaps he/she can chime
> > in?
> >
> >  -Mike
> >

> > --
> >
> > Mike Isely
> > isely @ pobox (dot) com
> > PGP: 03 54 43 4D 75 E5 CC 92 71 16 01 E2 B5 F5 C1 E8
> >

> Thanks Mike!
>
> Does anyone have those firmware files (different versions) already
> extracted and available for download somewhere? I guess it is unlikely
> they are to blame but that is still possible.
>
> Boris.

Boris:

I just tested my 29022 device (which is older than the comparatively
more common 29032 model) on a vanilla 2.6.25 kernel.  It's been a while
since I've tested with this specific device - it is pretty old.
However it worked just fine, no tweaking or any special action needed.

The firmware files by the way are independant of kernel version.  The
pvrusb2 driver just treats them as an opaque blob and feeds them to the
hardware.  So changing kernels (or distributions) should not in any way
require re-extracting the firmware.  Now, it is possible that the
distribution might be configured to store the firmware files in a
different location in your file system, but that would seem pretty
unlikely since all you did was update to a later version of the same
distro.  Besides, the log messages would have been different if the
driver had failed to locate the firmware (you would have seen
messages actually complaining that the firmware was missing).

So at this point I have nothing really good to suggest, unfortunately.
I don't use Suse here so I can't really help.  But I did notice the post
from Steven Karp reporting success in Suse.  I was kind of hoping that
the fact you are using an old variant of the device might be a factor.
But the test I just ran here disproves that avenue of thought.
Sorry...

Other things I'd suggest would be more in line with people who simply
can't get the device to work.  Try compiling and installing the current
standalone driver, if only to rule out mis-compilation of the
distro-provided driver.  Also, if all the software seems right and the
device still doesn't work, it's always possible that you have a real
hardware problem, in which case I'd try to test it on a Windows system.
A couple years ago I spent the better part of a month pulling my hair
out trying to find a driver bug - when in the end, after all that, I ran
it under Windows and found it had the same problem!  (And then I RMAed
it.)

isely @ pobox (dot) com