[pvrusb2] initialization of video_gop_size

Dan Bodoh dan.bodoh at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 14:05:43 CDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 1:43 PM, Mike Isely <isely at isely.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jun 2008, Dan Bodoh wrote:
>> Should pvrusb2-encoder.c be setting this value to 15 for NTSC?  Is 12
>> a legal value for NTSC?  Or should the default be set correctly in the
>> cx2341x module?
>
> The pvrusb2 driver internally is doing what it is doing because, well,
> it's been doing that since basically the beginning of time for the
> driver.  However that's only there for older kernels and has no effect

I probably got a little too wordy in my question.  I'll be more direct:

(1) Is video_gop_size=12 legal for 30-fps NTSC?  Or should it be 15?

    There's some evidence that it is not legal, or at least not desirable:
      (A) There's (inactive) code pvrusb2, only active when not using
cx2341x,  that sets video_gop_size to 15 for NTSC.
       (B) An old ivtv (0.4.7) on my gentoo box with 2.26.14 kernel,
which did not use cx2341x, set video_gop_size to 15 for NTSC for a
pvr-350.
       (C) Mythtv doesn't handle NTSC with video_gop_size=12 very
well, but it's ok at 15.

(2) If video_gop_size should be 15 for NTSC, who is responsible for
setting it?  mythtv? pvrusb2?  cx2341x?  Because, today, none of these
are setting it today to 15.

Presumably it's not an application-level decision (mythtv), since it's
previously been handled by old drivers.

So, is this a bug for the cx2341x maintainers or for pvrusb2?

Dan Bodoh