[pvrusb2] New driver snapshot: pvrusb2-mci-20080629

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Mon Jun 30 01:25:15 CDT 2008

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008, Dan Bodoh wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 10:27 PM, Mike Isely <isely at isely.net> wrote:
> >

> > The GOP size change works around a bug in MythTV: Apparently in 0.21
> > the value for GOP size is factored into the calculation of a program's
> > parameter.  This change is a result of the discussion on this list
> > from last week; I'd appreciate it if Dan Bodoh could test this, verify
> > the fix, and post the results.
>
> Given that I run Mythbuntu 8.04, with its already-built kernel, is
> there  a suggestion for the easiest and least disruptive route to
> build the new driver and (temporarily) test on my in-use myth box?

Odds are that the pvrusb2 driver in that kernel is still built as a
module (as opposed to being compiled in).  If that is the case, then you
can just rename the existing pvrusb2.ko "out of the way", then build the
standalone driver in the usual manner and drop that new pvrusb2.ko into
the same spot.  Do a "modprobe -r pvrusb2" to unload the previous
driver, then "modprobe pvrusb2" to load the new driver (or just plug in
the device if it wasn't plugged in) and you should be good to go.

You will need a kernel source installation to do the driver build.
Hopefully Mythbuntu makes that available.  If not, then the above won't
work.

If the Mythbuntu kernel has directly compiled in the pvrusb2 driver,
then there's no module to move out of the way, in which case the above
won't work.

Failing the above, you could probably also just build a new kernel.
(It generally should be no problem to install a newly built kernel
without disturbing the existing kernel - it's mainly just a matter of
file system space.)  Building a kernel is not that difficult to do, but
there is a learning curve to climb if you've never done it before...

isely @ pobox (dot) com