[pvrusb2] New driver snapshot: pvrusb2-mci-20080210

Mark Goldberg marklgoldberg at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 22:01:23 CDT 2008

On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 5:49 PM, Mike Isely <isely at isely.net> wrote:
>  I believe the "X" is just an instance number to help differentiate
>  multiple instances of the module running in the kernel (if for example
>  you had two capture devices with a cx25840).  A different value for the
>  X would be consistent with the fact that the drivers are coming up in a
>  different order now.

There is only one device (pvrusb2) using that driver. On any bootup,
it changes from
anwhere from 0 to 4. Could that be related to how usb finds things?
Anyway, it probably
means nothing to this problem.

>  I really find it hard to believe that one instance of cx25840 might
>  possibly interact with another instance, but I guess it should probably
>  be ruled out.

Since there are no other cards using it, that is not an issue.

>  No, I do not believe it's possible for the mpeg encoder to do this.  The
>  data ia already in a framebuffer format by the time the encoder stage is
>  reached.  You're describing what amounts to a framing problem so I
>  wouldn't expect the encoder to be an influence here.

It seems then the cx25840 is being initialized differently, for a
different video standard
and syncing to capure starting somewhere different in the vertical
interval. I don't know offhand
what the differences in the vertical sync are for different standards.
It does not seem to get that
it should be NTSC in the initialization. When I first started using
the driver, mythtv was setting
it to PAL and it would not capture smoothly. The symptoms are
different, but maybe explicity setting
the standards will help. Can I help this by putting video_std=X in modprobe.conf
for the pvrusb2 module? What do I put for NTSC-M? It does seem to get
to 48 kHz audio sampling
eventually. I dont see a module parm to set that.

>  me; if I had just tried it once under Windows I would have know right
>  away rather than wasting weeks looking for a pvrusb2 driver bug!

I have, but have not yet installed, vmware to run XP in a virtual
machine. I'd like to see how it
does with pvrusb2. Vmware will run high speed usb in the latest version.

Mark