[pvrusb2] New driver snapshot: pvrusb2-mci-20080210

Mark Goldberg marklgoldberg at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 15:46:19 CDT 2008

On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 10:32 PM, Mark Goldberg <marklgoldberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 8:01 PM, Mark Goldberg <marklgoldberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  It seems then the cx25840 is being initialized differently, for a
>  >  different video standard
>  >  and syncing to capure starting somewhere different in the vertical
>  >  interval. I don't know offhand
>  >  what the differences in the vertical sync are for different standards.
>  >  It does not seem to get that
>  >  it should be NTSC in the initialization. When I first started using
>  >  the driver, mythtv was setting
>  >  it to PAL and it would not capture smoothly. The symptoms are
>  >  different, but maybe explicity setting
>  >  the standards will help. Can I help this by putting video_std=X in modprobe.conf
>  >  for the pvrusb2 module? What do I put for NTSC-M? It does seem to get
>  >  to 48 kHz audio sampling
>  >  eventually. I dont see a module parm to set that.

I tried this and it changes things in some places, but the results are
the same. It seems that the /sys interface, the v4lctl interface and
the dmesg messages from the drive do not all agree on what the
standard is. I can set things using the interfaces and video_std=X
in modprobe.conf, but nothing changed the vertical offset. It always
showed a bigger black bar with the vertical interval signal when the
new snapshot was used. With the same commands and settings, the
problem is only present with the new snapshot.

>  I downloaded the data sheet. It should discover the correct standard,
>  except I think it can't tell NTSC-M from
>  NTSC-J. How is the AFD_NTSC_SEL set? Do you set that explicitly, or is
>  it done in the CX25840
>  driver?
>
>  It would be a cheezy workaround, but if it were available to change
>  VBLANK_CNT_LO and VBLANK_CNT_HI using the
>  /sys interface, that would probably work.
>
>  If that is fairly easy to try, give me a hint where to look in your
>  driver and I'll try.

I can see that it appears that none of this is actually in your
driver. I'm not sure what more i can do at this point, I don't
understand the
kernel drivers nearly enough to even know where to look for something to change.

Mark