[pvrusb2] New driver snapshot: pvrusb2-mci-20080210

Mark Goldberg marklgoldberg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 02:18:55 CDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 2:41 PM, Mike Isely <isely at isely.net> wrote:
>  Sorry I'm not ignoring you; just working on other things (like my actual
>  job)...

Yes, I have a real job also.

>  Yes you can force a different standard as a module option.

>  Another strategy you can do is
>  let the driver load with the defaults then use the sysfs interface to
>  then force the standard to whatever you want.  In that case you can then
>  use symbolic values.  I suggest you explore this now, but I may likely
>  have to provide more information there.  But I won't really get a chance
>  to help at that level until Tuesday night at the earliest.

It does not seem to be consistant with the three interfaces, as in the
standard reported
by the three may not match. I tried many different things and the
results seem the same.

>  All
>  we can do is tell it to use standard "XYZ" and then it's up to the
>  module what to do after that point.
>
>  For what it's worth, I've seen problems in the past where if the cx25840
>  module isn't initialized in a particular magic manner that it produces
>  subtlely wrong results.  This was also the root cause for why over a
>  year ago I couldn't get 24xxx devices to do anything but 480 lines of
>  resolution for a while.  Turns out then I had to call a VBI
>  initialization API entry point in the cx25840 module - even though VBI
>  isn't at all being used in the pvrusb2 driver.  The cx25840 module seems
>  somewhat fragile in how it is controlled.  Recent changes in the pvrusb2
>  driver should not have changed what we tell that module, though as you
>  have seen there are changes which affect the relative timing of things
>  that take place during initialization.  Such timing changes should not
>  cause any ill effects, but it's something to consider here.

I can only guess it is an issue like this.

I got mythtv upgraded to .21 also. It was not too painful.

Whenever you get to looking at this more or making suggestions is
fine. I can use it fine as it is.

Mark