[pvrusb2] New driver snapshot: pvrusb2-mci-20080210

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Tue Mar 11 23:29:53 CDT 2008

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008, Hans Verkuil wrote:

> Mike, you might want to take a look at ivtv-driver.c: for ivtv I've made
> module options that allow you to do things like 'ntsc=m' and 'pal=bg',
> that's generally easier than figuring out the bit mask.

The module option handling in the pvrusb2 driver is pretty lame.  That
is a good suggestion, and I will look into it.

> The general rule is that for special cases the exact standard has to be
> set (e.g. for NTSC-JP only that standard must be set), otherwise the
> more general standard is chosen. So setting NTSC-J|NTSC-M will
> generally pick NTSC-M, unless the hardware is smart enough to detect
> which standard is actually received.

This is actually consistent with what the driver should already be
doing.  A long time ago (before I hacked on this part of the driver and
before I had any understanding of video standards) the driver actually
set groups of bits.  When I did the big cleanup with the synthesized
enumeration (at least a year ago, maybe longer), this bad practice
ended.

> Yeah, that code should really be moved from out of cx25840-vbi.c, it's
> something that really needs to be cleaned up. Hysterical reasons :-)

Hysterical?  Freudian slip?  :-)

> I've tested ivtv/cx25840 last Sunday with all sorts of different
> standards and it was all working perfectly (except for a minor issue
> with PAL-M).

But which cx25840?  The one in v4l-dvb or in a specific kernel?  I
assume you are refering to v4l-dvb, but I don't know if that is what
Mark is playing with.

isely @ pobox (dot) com