[pvrusb2] Weird behavior with my Happauge UB-PVR

Rod Smith rodsmith at rodsbooks.com
Thu Mar 20 11:37:49 CDT 2008

> Normally my PVR is mounted at /dev/video0, however, frequently it will
> change to /dev/video1 without any reason. Normally I had seen this
> when I would shutdown the backend in order to run mythfilldatabase and
> then restart the backend. When this does occur, from the command like
> it looks like the backend starts, but upon review of the log file, you
> can see an error that the backend could not read from /dev/video0 or
> /dev/video1, depending on what I had it set to previously.

Mike is certainly more authoritative than I am in terms of causes, and if he's
right my suggestion might not help; however, you might want to check out the
following MythTV wiki entry:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Device_Filenames_and_udev

It describes using udev to set up named symbolic links to your video device
files. The usual purpose is to help when device filenames change when you've
got multiple devices, but depending on the cause and other details, it might
just help with your problem. Certainly it's worth trying; if it doesn't help,
you'll have wasted some time, no  more.

--
Rod Smith
rodsmith at rodsbooks.com