[pvrusb2] Weird behavior with my Happauge UB-PVR

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun Mar 30 18:34:07 CDT 2008

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008, Eric A. Bonney wrote:

> Ok well now things are making a little more sense. Let me give you more
> feedback on my setup, as I really didn't think it was related until now. :)
>
> I have an APC backup until that everything is plugged into. This until
> will keep power going for about 30 minutes before it shuts off, I have
> tested it to see how long it will last. So the power strip is plugged
> into the APC and then things are plugged into it and also some items are
> plugged directly into the APC unit.
>
> So I am not really sure how short power lapses would cause this issue,
> since the PVR is getting it's power from the APC unit anyways, or at
> least I think it is. I will need to verify that here shortly.
>
> If it isn't then I can understand why my PVR goes from /dev/video0 to
> /dev/video1 once in a while if it loses power. I'll check on my
> configuration shortly and post back...
>
> Thanks a lot for the help guys.

Eric,

Ever since I resubscribed to LKML (silly me), I've had a hard time
keeping my inbox properly pruned - and this message got buried.  I've
only now just noticed it after excavating out all the other traffic.

In answer to your comments above, I agree if the PVR is already drawing
power through your UPS then this would seem like an unlikely cause.
All I can say about this is that if the device is indeed "momentarily"
disappearing off of the USB cable - either through a power cycle or
perhaps a loose cable - then the symptoms you are describing are what I
would expect.  I've seen that behavior myself.  It seems unlikely that
if you have spikes or other power surge issues that such junk could pass
through the UPS, so I don't really have anything truly useful to add
here.

Maybe the device has a real hardware problem which is causing it to
reset?

isely @ pobox (dot) com