[pvrusb2] [patch] capture window centering via VIDIOC_S_CROP

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun May 11 15:22:54 CDT 2008

On Sat, 11 May 2008, Bjorn Danielsson wrote:

> A question: does this cropping reduce the bitrate, or increase the perceived
> MPEG quality at the same bitrate?
>
> If not, isn't it better to just mask out those extra pixels during playback?

Not having tested this yet, I would presume this:  Removing unwanted
information out of the signal up-front (i.e. cropping out pieces of the
video) can only help.  That's information that would waste bandwidth
otherwise so it's a good thing to get rid of it early.  The result
should be either slightly lower bandwidth actually used or a slight
increase in overall picture quality.  Either way that's a good thing.

I don't know the exact effects of the cropping yet; I still have to
test.

isely @ pobox (dot) com