[pvrusb2] Maybe what a I really want is a Hauppauge HD PVR!?

roger roger at eskimo.com
Fri May 16 01:49:23 CDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 22:44 -0500, Mike Isely wrote:
> On Wed, 14 May 2008, roger wrote:
>
> > http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html
> >
> > Any connectivity notes with Linux yet?
> >
> > I'm guessing, this is going to be classified as an external hard drive
> > with the PVR's operating system within the first partition of the hard
> > drive and the storage on the second partition.
> >
> > Might be an extremely interesting box if linux users can tinker with it.
> > (Much like the famed Linksys WRT54G boxes ;-)
> >

> There has been A LOT of chatter on mythtv-users about this.  People are
> salivating over it.  Right now AFAIK, there is no Linux driver for it.
> This is basically an HD-capable hardware-encoding video capture device.
> I would expect a driver for it to look like another V4L device.  However
> I am unaware of any existing available Linux driver right now.
>  This device probably doesn't fall under that
> umbrella.  (Not that I wouldn't like to take a real shot at this.  But
> we'll see what time will tell.)

I'll probably keep an eye on this myself.  If the device is at least
recognized as an external drive when plugged in via USB, and I can at
least grab CNN/FOXNEWS/History & DISC Channel stuff, I'll probably save
my pennies and grab this device in the future.

For mythtv devs to try to rewrite the firmware on this device, will
probably take some work, as well as luck.  We can all pretty much assume
there's some copyright mechanism employed on it to prevent HBO/Movie
Channel infringements. But, on the other hand, there might be none since
it's much easier to make a copy of a DVD vs. recording something over
the air.

This will probably be the deciding factor, as well as most, as to
whether I buy another PVR, or just off load everything to a device such
as this, conserving electricty.

--
Roger
http://www.eskimo.com/~roger/index.html