[pvrusb2] IR doesn't work

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun May 25 12:25:16 CDT 2008

On Mon, 19 May 2008, Miguel Sevillano Torrado wrote:

> Thanks for all of the information. I've looking for the LIRC driver and
> I can't find the name you are saying. With the ./configure --help from
> LIRC tarball, I can see this names:
>                           all, none, userspace, accent, act200l,
>                           act220l, adaptec, alsa_usb, animax, asusdh,
>                           atilibusb, atiusb, audio, avermedia,
>                           avermedia_vdomate, avermedia98, bestbuy,
>                           bestbuy2, breakoutbox, bte, bw6130, caraca,
>                           chronos, cmdir, comX, cph06x, creative,
>                           creative_infracd, devinput, digimatrix, dsp,
>                           dvico, ea65, exaudio, flyvideo, gvbctv5pci,
>                           hauppauge, hauppauge_dvb,
>                           hercules_smarttv_stereo, igorplugusb,
>                           iguanaIR, imon, imon_24g, imon_knob,
>                           imon_pad, imon_rsc, irdeo, irdeo_remote,
>                           irman, irreal, it87, knc_one, kworld,
>                           leadtek_0007, leadtek_0010, leadtek_pvr2000,
>                           livedrive_midi, livedrive_seq, logitech,
>                           lptX, macmini, mceusb, mceusb2, mediafocusI,
>                           mouseremote, mouseremote_ps2, mp3anywhere,
>                           nslu2,packard_bell, parallel, pcmak,
>                           pcmak_usb, pctv, pixelview_bt878,
>                           pixelview_pak, pixelview_pro, provideo,
>                           realmagic, remotemaster, sa1100, sasem,
>                           sb0540, serial, silitek, sir, slinke,
>                           streamzap, tekram, tekram_bt829, tira,
>                           ttusbir, tuxbox, tvbox, udp, uirt2,
>                           uirt2_raw, usb_uirt_raw, usbx
>
> I'm sorry for my lack of knowledge, but I would choose the hauppauge
> always... Can you tell what is the correct one?

I just went back through the list archives and came across the same post
you found.  The dmesg clip from that post shows that it's the lirc_i2c
driver that you (still) need, but the trick is to make sure you're
running a recent enough version of LIRC.  See further.

> I can tell you that the device has the IR blaster built in, because it
> has a 1/8" jack on the front.

Not surprised to hear this.  It makes sense.

> I've probed with the standalone version of the pvrusb2 driver, instead
> of the in-kernel version (by the way, my kernel version is 2.6.18), but
> I can only see one /dev/lirc/0 device. Why doesn't appear the
> other /dev/lirc/1 device, that is the correct one?

Because LIRC has to find it and create the device.

> The versions I am using now:
> kernel 2.6.18 (Debian 4.0 etch)
> lirc-0.8.3 (tarball)

Hmm, well now I'm confused.  The report from a year ago specifies what
appears to be an EARLIER version of LIRC that should work.  The evidence
in his post is pretty clear.  Are you *sure* (!!) you are running the
lirc_i2c driver built from that tarball?

> standalone pvrusb2 version (20080420)
>
> I've read in http://www.isely.net/pipermail/pvrusb2/2007-May/001519.html
> that it works (receiving) with this versions: 20070428a for pvrusb2 and
> 0.8.2pre2 for lirc, so why I can't make it works with newer versions?
> What I am doing wrong?

Best I can tell you're doing things right here.  That earlier post shows
some pretty clear evidence that the normal lirc_i2c driver from LIRC
0.8.2pre2 found the newer chip and attached to it.  Check to make sure
you're really loading and running the lirc_i2c module from the tarball
you installed (possibly your distribution has an older module already
installed that you need to disable).  Maybe you can try to install that
*exact* version of LIRC and reproduce the same results?  The version of
the pvrusb2 driver should not matter at all since in this case the
pvrusb2 is just a conduit not the actual IR driver.

> Can you help me?
>
> Also I've seen that I have a debian package liblircclient0.deb which
> provides the
> files /usr/lib/liblirc_client.so.0.1.0, /usr/lib/liblirc_client.la
> and /usr/lib/liblirc_client.so.0. Can it interference with the binaries
> compiled from the lirc-0.8.3 tarball?
>
> I am thinking also about upgrading to the unstable distribution of
> Debian. Can it help?

I have had nothing but rotten luck trying to get Debian's LIRC package
to work.  Understand that in my case I run custom kernels so I have to
rebuild the LIRC drivers for my kernel and Debian's LIRC module build,
well, sucks.  It's been this way for a long time.

If you don't need to build LIRC modules then the rest of the Debian LIRC
stuff should be OK.

Upgrading your entire installation to Debian Unstable is really
overkill.  Worst case you might want to go to the very lasted unstable
LIRC packages from Debian but I wouldn't bother.  Rather I suggest you
work with the upstream LIRC package and just build it on your system.
That's what I end up doing nearly every time here.

isely @ pobox (dot) com